Eventide has just released Pendulate, a free “chaotic monosynth” virtual synthesizer instrument by Newfangled Audio.
Pendulate is unique, as is uses a brand new oscillator design to produce sounds different from any other synth. According to its developers, at its core stay a chaotic oscillator based on a double pendulum. The generated sound may seem random at first, but is created from “underlying patterns of interconnectedness, constant feedback loops, repetition, self-similarity, fractals, and self-organization”.
Newfangled Audio says when designing the Pendulate oscillator they took great care to bring out these underlying patterns. And the result is an oscillator that can smoothly fade from a sine wave to total chaos, with an expanse of territory to explore in between.
Below are the main features of this crazy synth:
- Novel chaotic oscillator based on the double pendulum makes sounds you’ve never heard before, but will want to hear again
- Wavefolder based on the one in the Buchla 259 Complex Waveform Generator, adding MIX and CUTOFF
- Low Pass Gate based on the Buchla 292 adds controls for POLES and RESONANCE
- Innovative modulation UI allows modulation over every control from the main page, allowing up to 169 simultaneous modulation routings
- MPE support allows amazing control from innovative new controllers
- Envelope and LFO each have multiple outputs generated at once, like a modular synth should
- Every mod output to every control means up to 221 modulation points in an intuitive single pane
- The Double Pendulum, Wavefolder, and Low Pass Gate modules each have animations to show how each module responds to your input, and to modulation
Pendulate comes with three color schemes to choose from and a huge library of 136 presets from artists such as Matt Lange and Matthew Wang. The free VST plugin is available in VST/AU/AAX versions for Windows and macOS.
More information: Eventide